Jan and Russ around Australia

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Karajini NP

Early Tuesday morning (about 12.30am), I walked over to the toilets. I thought I’d cut back through the laundry and see if there were any magazines. As I went to walk in one door, a rather large kangaroo was thinking the same thing at the other. He wandered off to eat some long green grass nearby, so I went and got the camera so I could show Russell I hadn’t been dreaming! I was able to get really close to take his photo as he ate.

Weano Gorge

On Tuesday we headed out early for a day in the Hammersly Ranges and Karijini National Park. We went to Kalamina Gorge, Weano Gorge and Oxer and Junction Pool Lookout, Joffre Gorge, a long look at the interpretative centre and finally Dales Gorge and Fortesque Falls. I can only say again that it is too beautiful to describe and The Kimberly must be amazing to be more beautiful than this place. Fortesque falls are the only ones in the park that have water in them 12 months of the year-we were lucky enough to see water in all the falls we visited. We had to do a couple of creek crossing too on the way out to Joffre. At Dales a dingo walked out onto the road, so I went closer to take its photo, it just lay on the side of the road to let me do so. We passed another on the way home wandering along the side of the road.

Weano Gorge


We were tired and all covered in red dust when we arrived home after 5 last night. Lucky we didn’t wear clean clothes but decided to wear yesterdays-you wouldn’t have known within 10 minutes of walking out to the first gorge. The car is filthy too and its grey canopy now looks red after a couple of hundred ks on red dirt and corrugations! We did the washing at 7pm last night because the machines here run just about 24/7 and line space is at a premium-I figure it’s all that red dust! Right now Russ is making us a brunch of bacon and eggs; we’ll bring in all our washing from last night then go on a mine tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home