Jan and Russ around Australia

Friday, June 30, 2006

Heading to Exmouth

Our last day at Coral Bay was another perfect one. We went fishing and although we only brought home one cod, it is so lovely out there it doesn’t matter. I made friends with a couple-Serge and Ayoko who brought us a fish they had speared for us whilst diving. He’s a Bald Chin Groper and he’s our dinner tonight in Exmouth. They apologized for him being small, but he is about 55cm, so more than enough for the two of us. James and Beth spent the day swimming and snorkeling (James was thrilled when a dolphin swam right along side him), then we all went out for dinner.

I don’t know if it’s because I don’t eat much of it (my diet seems to revolve around fish), but my steak was one of the best I’ve ever eaten-cooked perfectly rare, with beautiful garlic prawns on top. Yum. The other 3 had bug tails (huge bug tails) with the same garlic prawns over them. The bugs were much nicer and sweeter than any lobster I’ve ever eaten! We shared a couple of nice bottles of wine and had a great night out.

We left Coral Bay this morning and headed to Exmouth (most famous I think for swimming with the whale sharks, especially when you see how many tour operators the town has). As we left town a tourist was stopped-photographing a big kangaroo just lying in the shade of a small tree by the side of the road. About 100metres on, 5 emus strolled across the road in front of us. It all seemed like it had been staged by the local tourism group!

It was quite an interesting drive through fairly flat country at first that was covered with hundreds of thousands of large termite’s nests. That went on for about 100ks, and then we arrived at Learmonth which is a RAAF base but also has a large ultra modern civil airport next door. After Learmonth, we had the Indian Ocean on one side and the Cape Ranges on the other. The ranges look amazing, so we will take a 120k drive through them tomorrow and I am really tempted to take a flight over them. I don’t like flying too much but I can imagine it would be worth it. It all seems fairly lush around here too after the country we’ve been through.

Exmouth has over 3000 people, so has 2 supermarkets and quite a nice shopping mall. Also a few restaurants so we may meet James and Beth again for a night out. It was great to stock up at an (almost) reasonable price again in the supermarket today. We are staying at the Lighthouse caravan park 17kms from town. It’s really quite nice, but I have no phone or internet coverage. I’ll have to take both with me into town to let everybody know that. Travelling out to the park we passed a big Naval Base, so Exmouth must do OK having that and the air force so close by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home