Jan and Russ around Australia

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Week 3 in Streaky Bay


Murphy's Haystacks

Tomorrow begins week three at Streaky Bay. We should be leaving tomorrow, but re-booked for 1 more week. I have a friend from a recipe club I belong to Sarah, and her great uncle and aunt started out on a trip just like this, but only got to Dimboola where they remained for ever. I’m starting to worry that Streaky Bay might be our personal Dimboola.

It’s so easy here, with the boat anchored out front, the town so close and the park so quiet and friendly, lots of fish helps too. Yesterday, we filled a 15 litre bucket full of whiting, tommy ruff, flounder and flat heads which was lots of fun. You never know when you bring in your line what’s going to be on it-unlike the Hopkins River where you know it will be a bream! It’s the crabbing we have to master-it seems I’m too slow hauling the nets in.

We’ve had a day out sight seeing today, visiting Sceale Bay, Baird Bay, going to see the sea lions and finishing at Murpy’s Haystacks. I almost stepped on a snake at a lookout we stopped at which gave me a bit of a fright. It was a greeny, olivy copper colour. I might try and Google to see how near to death I was!!!! Yesterday, my near death experience came in the shower. I’d made chilli con carne with fresh chillies and forgot that as I started to soap myself. Ouch!!!! I was in so much agony, that I forgot again and wiped the water out of my eyes as well. It was about the worst 10 minutes I’ve spent for ages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home